RFI

Re: [RFI] Recommended PC Components for Low EMI/RFI?

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Recommended PC Components for Low EMI/RFI?
From: "Rob Atkinson, K5UJ" <k5uj@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 18:48:29 +0000

My experience has been the tough thing is keeping rf out of the pc's audio speaker system. for a lot of hams it may not matter if they don't have sound from the pc but if you want to run your rig and Echolink at the same time it is an issue. A lot of hams use Echolink as a sort of free "order wire" (signal corps term) to coordinate on-air stuff...EME, mw shots, testing new setups on HF etc.

For the other RFI avoidance, I'd consider simply positioning the pc away from the RF gear and running long mouse, keyboard and monitor cables. At or near each end you can put a bunch of ferrite chokes on them and use a LCD monitor too by the way. Well, I guess on the mouse and keyboard wires you only need to have chokes near the pc. The hash field around a pc varies but usually drops off around 4 feet away so at that point it's not overwhelming things you want to protect. Note: I have not done this--just an idea to consider--I do not know if it will work or not, but it's probably nice to get the pc away anyway, since that reduces operating position clutter. comments on whether or not this is bad advice welcome but please post to the list; not me. Tnx.

Rob Atkinson
K5UJ