RFI

[RFI] Sure we have RFI on the Shore

To: "'John Gagen'" <w2yr@arrl.net>
Subject: [RFI] Sure we have RFI on the Shore
From: "Peter D. Vouvounas" <wb3fsr@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 09:50:57 -0500
Hi John (W2YR),

Great information and thank you.

I've run into the same situation with the takeovers.  One of my neighbors
retired from JCP&L to the north of us (Different Operating Entity then
here)in the last year and a half. Really nice chap named Bob.  Every time
Mr. RFI showed up my neighbor "Bob" just laughed because it looks like
"Cheech & Chong's" van bouncing down the street.

Bob the neighbor informed me that JCP&L to the north takes RFI problems very
seriously - big communications vehicle with every piece of test equipment
one can imagine inside setup as a lab, multiple antennas on hydraulic masts
etc.

Compared to MR RFI's little van from the 60's that actually generates more
RFI noise then he is trying to detect! I've ridden around with him on a
couple of occasions and he has also accompanied me in my vehicle. It's tough
when you've strived to have a good relationship with Mr. RFI and literally
trained him over time to be cut off at the knees. Mr. RFI would call me and
vice versa with requests that I fire up my spectrum analyzer, swing the
beams, provide bearings, provide frequencies ranges, etc.  While I believe,
he does not understand the signature method and most likely does not have
the equipment to go that route he was very dedicated. His favorite saying
which makes sense is "(Its like peeling back an onion)". The problem is that
the group (Line Department & Exec's) that does the peeling lost their knife!

This is not a situation where the ham sits back and quips it's broken. I've
put on hundreds of miles and more time then I care to mention driving,
observing, car full of test antenna's, analyzers, scanners, sledge hammer
shaking guy wires (carefully) and logging no less then 26 locations just
inside of my community across a one mile stretch. Items found include tree
branches burned, insulators arcing, rocky J squirrel sizzles.

I expect that you have an entirely different Line Department in your area.
Mine is the Pt Pleasant group. Would it surprise anyone if I told you that
we had no less then 17-power outages in a years time in my area!

The Exec told me a year ago that I was pretty much out there when I nicely
suggested that if the Utility was just to over burdened with man power and
or knowledge issues I could suggest one or more extremely competent and
specialized organizations that they could contract with to help resolve the
RFI issues. He countered not on your life.

The very same Exec chap that admittedly suggested that he did not know too
much about this "RADIO STUFF or if they the Utility really had to do
anything else" responded to the last FCC letter in the summer last year. `We
the Utility are doing everything we can do in a very cooperative manor with
the customer` (ME) which is total BS - Haven't heard from them in over a
year now and I don't have more time to waste calling the general 800 number
of customer service. That proved worthless three plus years ago and several
letters from the commission. The only thing that may make a difference to
them might be BIG DOLLAR fines.

I'm now in the loop for the third round with the commission to intercede
again and of course it takes months for the cause and effect to take place
(third round started May 15th last year) and still waiting.  My best guess
is BPL will arrive before RFI is cleared and then it will be all for nothing

73

:-[PdV]-:
Peter D. Vouvounas
Vice President & GM