RFI

Re: [RFI] Response to news FCC okays BPL proposal

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Response to news FCC okays BPL proposal
From: "N6KJ" <kelly@thejohnsons.ws>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 13:42:57 -0800 (PST)
> On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 16:12:11 EST, CliffHazen@aol.com wrote:
>
> I've heard comments inside the electrical power industry on BPL that there is

expectation that many amateur radio operators will not complain because it is >
their only option for high speed low cost internet access and VOIP in rural
> areas with no cable or dsl options.? Many amateurs have already chosen to
> live in those areas for low noise rx conditions and may be willing to
> sacrifice living with extra rf noise to keep peace in their internet family.

Anyone with half a brain knows that it won't be cost effective to supply
BPL (or cable or DSL) to really rural customers.  Satellite or wireless is
probably a better solution for them.  Anyone located in some place where
BPL is cost effective is probably in an area where cable, dsl, etc. would
be equally as cost effective.

I think we also know that BPL won't be limited to rural areas.  The market
isn't big enough.  They'll be going after the suburbs where most people
(and most hams) live.

I still say their best bet is to notch the ham bands.  It will probably
eliminate 99% of their potential complaints.
?