RFI

[RFI] another problem solved.

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] another problem solved.
From: "kce" <kce@chartermi.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 06:33:14 -0500
I was on a service call yesterday morning. The customer said all the duplex
recpts on one side of the house trailer were out. As I narrowed the problem
area down, he asks me if I know anything about radios. Then he explains that
this new super radio is a piece of crap he can't hear anything but crackling
static on it. This really makes me concerned. Removing a couple of
electrical boxes from the wall in question I find the drywall and insulation
is soaking wet, Luckily I am able to pull out a piece of nmb cable I suspect
is bad only to find that its been arcing to the metal siding of the trailer,
in fact the ground and neutral wires have gotten so hot that they have burnt
open and have a nice ball of copper on each end. I make the repairs and we
try out the radio.... quiet as a mouse. I hope this guy realizes how lucky
he was in this case. RFI can indicate some really serious problems.

Ken W8OB