RFI

[RFI] BPL--FCC Proposed Rules//We Need to Respond

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: [RFI] BPL--FCC Proposed Rules//We Need to Respond
From: K4VV@aol.com
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2004 07:47:19 EST
For information, here is the action that we in the Potomac Valley Radio Club
are taking.  PVRC is a contesting club with several hundred active members in
the mid Atlantic region.  I am the current President, and Jim Talens, N3JT is
a lawyer and engineer who has many years of FCC experience.  Jim led the
action for our previous submission to the FCC on the BPL issue.  This activity
may
be of interest to you.  Any supporting input may be directed to Jim, who is
cc'd.

Jack Hammett, K4VV

The FCC Notice of Proposed Rule Making (NPRM) about BPL is available at
http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-04-29A1.doc
Comments will be due 45 days after the NPRM is published in the Federal
register.

I read the NPRM yesterday, and it has some hopeful aspects about protecting
other services from interference, but there are clear signals of a steamroller
with momentum speeding forward.  BPL is viewed as a tremendous national asset,
which has importance that outweighs other considerations.  There is a lot of
weight given to adaptive interference avoiding technology with very little
basis offered, other than the cheerful inputs from the industry that gains from
BPL.  The FCC conclusion is to press ahead, and work the interference issues as
we go.  We need to make a serious review and comment.

Jim Talens, N3JT has prepared some very helpful suggestions on how to
respond.  His message follows.  Please read Jim's input and the NPRM.  We need
volunteers willing to put in some effort to generate comments for PVRC, and
later to
review other comments, and write some more.  Your technical talent and
operational experience could make a real difference here for the future of
amateur
radio.  Please let me and Jim know your willingness to help.

Jack Hammett, k4vv

Subj:BPL Initial Proposal