RFI

RE: [RFI] Quiet Shack PC Systems?

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: RE: [RFI] Quiet Shack PC Systems?
From: "N6KJ" <kelly@thejohnsons.ws>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 08:41:00 -0800 (PST)
My CRT is generates birdies all over the place (esp. on 17 meters).  It's
a 21" CRT that I got for free so I don't want to get rid of it.  Unfortunately,
it's very difficult to wind the video cable around a toroid because the
VGA connector is so large.  You're lucky if you can get more than 1 or 2
winds.  I tried split beads, but they didn't work either.  I've never found
a good solution for the noisy CRT.  I usually just live with the
random birdies until they sit on top of a station I care about.  When they
sit on top of a station I care about, then I turn off the monitor long enough
to make the QSO then turn it back on again.  Until the price of 19" or 20"
LCDs come down a bit more, this is the best solution I have.  I guess I
could try a ferrite rod, but I've never had much luck with those either.