RFI

[RFI] WSJ/BPL & WiFi

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] WSJ/BPL & WiFi
From: "Jim Jarvis" <jimjarvis@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 18:03:25 -0000
Folks,

Two important points:

1)  Google BPL, and look at some proposed systems architecture.
They're using WiFi to get across the power transformers.  Not an AP
for every residence, but one per 'group' of residences.
    Can we see an RFI problem coming, amongst these part 15 devices?
Additionally, the cost structure here HAS to be higher than that of
cable.  These guys aren't likely to be the low cost providers of
wideband service...and the only market they're going to serve is the
very remote sites, where cable and dsl can't be economically served.
    2.4GHz is already way too noisy from phones and WLAN's...imagine
another WLAN every 5 power poles or so.

2)  Brosnahan's letter to WSJ was on point.  John..I'm going to route
it to my editor buddy, with a wraparound spin of my own...let's see
what comes of it.

73, N2EA
jimjarvis@ieee.org