RFI

Re: [RFI] RFI From Hell

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] RFI From Hell
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 16:36:44 -0500
More than likely it is a switching supply of some type. The "off in the
heavy rain" could just be a happenstance.

I've only had one power line conducted emission problem here in the country
and it was from a house over a mile away. It was a computer that set up a
differential mode excitation of the telco and power lines via the modem and
power line connections in the computer from the computer SMPS.

It was well over S-9 here a mile away.

Home lighting, battery chargers, computers, drills, solid state coolers, and
dozens of other items now use switching supplies that tear up radios.

When I lived near Atlanta, the  house next door emitted 30dB over nine
broadband noise via the power line. It would disappear on certain days and
most often when the weather was bad, but only because they took the device
being charged out of its charger and used it. There may be a human element
involved.

73, Tom W8JI