RFI

Re: [RFI] WSJ-BPL

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] WSJ-BPL
From: Mike Coslo <mcoslo@adelphia.net>
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2004 22:34:01 -0500
Jim Brown wrote:

You know the wrong engineers for this sort of assignment. (or maybe the
limitation is in your head).

Jim, You are too sensitive.

I'm one of the "right" kind. I'm an
engineer, and I make my living by communicating technical concepts to
non technical people. (I work as a consultant designing sound systems
for worship and performance spaces.)

I work with many engineers, translating their concepts and engineering into something that people in other fields or laymen can understand. They appreciate my work. They at least think the communications help is worth it

But more to the point, your attitutde and sterotypes are part of the
problem. NOT ALL OF US ARE THE SAME! Some folks I know (or know of) who
are trained in engineering or science) are also very sensitive to the
creative site of the world, and can get onto the same wavelength with
non-technical people. One of our finest living musical orchestrators
(often nominated for Grammies), Bill Holman, was trained as an
engineer. More than a few serious engineers do sound design for
Broadway shows, and for the broadcast of very musically complex
programs. Nevil Shute, one of Britain's finest novelists, had a "day
job" as an aeronautical engineer, but wrote some fine novels (including
"On the Beach," one of the most powerful antiwar novels of any time).
He worked during the day in England's war ministry during WWII, and
published a half dozen fine novels during the same time frame. (I've
read them all.)

Moreover, engineers NEED a far broader education and perspective than
we get in engineering school. Some of us have moved far beyond that (or
were already beyond it when we entered "the engineering discipline."
For example, I was listening to Bach when I was 12 and Coltrane when I
was 17, and I got into ham radio at 14. These disciplines ARE NOT
mutually exclusive! I was also involved with my community theater
group, both as a actor (not very good) and as a technician (better). I
also know engineers who are very strong in business and the law.

Of course there are different people in this world, and nothing prevents an engineer from doing whatever he or she wants, and sometimes can be quite quite creative. As far as I am concerned, engineering in itself is a creative function.

But that doesn't change the fact that many Engineers are so very "into" their research that they can expound at length on it at a level that is fascinating to themselves ant their peers, yet is information overload for a lay person. I think it is part of the enthusiasm needed to BE an engineer.

STOP putting us in convenient pigeon holes to fit your small mind. We,
as human beings, are far more complex than that.

You are taking insults where none are meant. (and dishing them out btw, re "limitations in my mind, and "small mind" surely aren't endearing terms) I've worked intimately with engineers for some 25 years now, enjoy their company, and they mine.

Sorry to have bothered you.

Apologies to the moderator, I felt I needed to answer the charges - this will be my last post on the subject.

- Mike KB3EIA -