RFI

Re: [RFI] RFI & FCC

To: kd4e@arrl.net, rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] RFI & FCC
From: <dgsvetan@rockwellcollins.com>
Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 11:11:57 -0500

Doc and All,

Just a couple of quick comments:

1.  Many garage door openers operate around 315 MHz, as do the remote
lock/unlock systems for vehicles.  That frequency is also in the military
comm band.

2.  The garage door opener issue is not new.  There was a well-documented
event several years ago in the San Diego area in which dozens of garage
doors started opening when the fleet came home to port.  The newer units
with their rolling security codes have somewhat reduced that problem.  As
for the hapless homeowners in Florida, well, gee, they'll have to figure
out how to QSY their units to either 433.91 MHz (gasp!) or the 915 MHz ISM
band (where they belong).  I wonder if any of them will file suit against
the garage opener vendors AND the FCC to compensate for their loss of use
and security.

Doc, as for your comments about 9/11, I sent an e-mail to the editor of
2-way industry trade rag shortly after 9/11.  His magazine had been crowing
over the fact that Motorola worked non-stop in loading 72 semis with comm
gear to ship to NYC after the disaster, and that it took nearly a week to
accomplish that task.  I asked him who he thought might have kept the comms
going for that week while all of that effort was being made by Moto.  I
accompanied my message with an excerpt from the ARRL Bulletin that
summarized the work done by hams in those days immediately following the
attack.  I also reminded him that some of those hams helping out could well
be readers of his magazine.  He actually did print my letter and thanked me
for the submittal.

73, Dale
WA9ENA

                      doc

                      <kd4e@arrl.net>          To:       tentec@contesting.com

                      Sent by:                 cc:       "rfi@contesting.com"
<rfi@contesting.com>
                      rfi-bounces@conte        Subject:  [RFI] Re: [TenTec]
BPL, RFI & FCC
                      sting.com

                      05/20/2004 10:36

                      AM

                      Please respond to

                      kd4e

NOTE:  I think this discussion should be moved to the more appropriate
rfi@contesting.com list and now invite folks to follow it there.

Since the political hacks on the 911 Commission have opened the
doors to all manner of ridiculous nonsense in their headlong
rush to self-aggrandize and to mount partisan political attacks
why should not Amateur Radio demand our "15 minutes of fame"?

Someone from the ARRL should insist on an opportunity to
describe the many ways that Amateur Radio fills-the-gap in
critical emergency communications, during 911 and thousands
of other crises and disasters.

The 911 Commission hacks have asked why there were communications
failures, some organizational, some technological.  Someone
from the ARRL could readily address the common failures of
public service communications in disasters and why and how
Amateur Radio is the best qualified resource to fill-the-gap.

Perhaps someone in the communications bureaucracy will catch
a clue and think before promulgating foolish and short-sighted
regs?  And maybe public service decisionmakers will become a
little more discerning when listening to the salesmen from
Motorola, et al, and ask harder questions about reliability,
redundancy, and inter-agency compatibility?

I have a dream ... ;-)  doc

Cliff KD4GT wrote:
> Sometimes it takes a while before the actions of the FCC really come to
> light.
>
> An AP news story of 05/20/04 reports that a new Air Force radio system by
> Motorola is being tested at Elgin AFB in Florida. Homeowners in the
> surrounding area are reporting their garage door openers are no longer
> functioning. An FCC spokesperson said that 'IF' the Air Force is
operating
> within its assigned frequencies then the users of the garage door openers
> will have to change theirs.
>
> Hmmm ... the FCC allowed these Part 15 devices to be produced even though
> they operate around the 435~436 MHz area. We hams have 420-440MHz on a
> 'secondary' basis with the US federal government (military) being the
> primary user. The FCC is also willing to let the RFID Tag folks crank up
the
> power well beyond the Part 15 limits in this same area.
>
> How long is it going to be before the BPL or RFID starts interfering with
> critical communications and someone dies? Or maybe the FCC will just find
> solution of dropping all those nifty new gizmos into the ham bands? After
> all, we are just 'amateurs' and don't really provide any beneficial
return
> for the bandwidth given to us.
>
> Watching to see how this conflict between the Part 15 garage door openers
> and the US military plays out will, at the very least, be interesting.
>
> 73 de KD4GT

Thanks! & 73, doc kd4e
West Central Florida
Drake, Heathkit, Kenwood, TenTec, Yaesu
Radio Life: http://www.gospelcom.net/twr/
Linux-Incompatible hardware is defective!
USA Pres. Election 2004: http://www.rnc.org/