RFI

RE: [RFI] More Thoughts on BPL

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: RE: [RFI] More Thoughts on BPL
From: "N6KJ" <kelly@thejohnsons.ws>
Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 09:35:50 -0700 (PDT)
If you can design a modem that will make it possible for Farmer John
to download porn at 5Mbps through a sewer pipe then I am sure you
will be lauded as a hero.  Broadband Nirvana will have been achieved!

As far as making the grid more reliable and secure...why would the power
companies spend money on that?  There's no ROI.  Power companies want to
get into broadband so the power company execs can make their millions and
retire in the South of France.  The only way the grid is going to be
improved is if it is mandated by the government.  If it is mandated by the
government you can bet it will be subsidized with our tax dollars as usual.

Personally, I'd love to get off the grid completely.  Unfortunately,
one of the many zoning regulations in my city is one that prohibits me
from running a generator at my home.  I couldn't put up a windmill because
of height limits.  Even installing a solar panel would probably require
me to kiss the rear end of all of the city council members!  At the very
least it would probably require a 1 year long environmental impact study
and a public hearing.