RFI

RE: [RFI] BPL on NPR

To: "'Pete Smith'" <n4zr@contesting.com>,"EDWARDS, EDDIE J" <eedwards@oppd.com>,"jimjarvis@ieee.org" <jimjarvis@ieee.org>
Subject: RE: [RFI] BPL on NPR
From: Ed -K0iL <eedwards@tconl.com>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 07:25:29 -0500
Pete,

I've not heard of any AMR being done on VLF or the old PLC because the data
rates are just way too slow.  PLC is mainly used for limited system control
functions.  Anything requiring a lot of data throughput like reading tens
or hundreds of thousands of meters requires a real robust data channel.
 Something BPL broadband could provide.

I'm not saying they'd put in BPL just for this-- they couldn't justify the
costs.  But if BPL goes in for Internet use then fails, the utility could
convert the loss into other uses to lessen the impact; or if they're
leasing the bandwidth to an ISP who owns the BPL equipment--then they could
pay pennies on the dollar and buy it up for these other uses.  The end
result is it never goes away.

BPL must be stopped before we all have to move into the countryside just to
play HF.