RFI

[RFI] Re: Another question

To: Tom Horton <k5iid@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: [RFI] Re: Another question
From: Scott Ginsburg <k1oa@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 10:31:58 +0000

Tom,

How long have you been hearing this "main" noise ?

I first started hearing it on May 9, and have heard it every day since then.

I have listened to the wave files again, and it still just
sounds like summertime storm noise.
 I have been plaqued with different types of "electrical"
and line noise for many years, and this sounds nothing
like the wave files.

I too have been plagued with electrical noises on and off for the past 4 or 5 years, in fact earlier this year I tracked one down to a set of poles about 4000 ft from my house, which Mass. Electric spent some time working on and I *think* have fixed the problem (I still hear occasional buzzing for very short bursts).

 Do you hear the noise on 3.5 / 1.8 Mhz ? Even without a resonant
antenna on those bands you should still be able to hear it.

I do hear static crashes on 80M, but I'm not 100% sure it's the noise. What I'll try tonight is listening to 20M on my MP using my log periodic, and 80M on my FT-990 with my loop and see if the bursts occur at the same time.

 The summertime atmospheric noises typically are not heard
on the upper bands.

I don't ever remember hearing S9 static crashes occuring at a rapid rate on 17M during the summer, like they were last night on my receiver. I don't think this is summer time static.

                                                tnx and 73,
                                                Scott