RFI

RE: [RFI] Canal water! (& BPL)

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [RFI] Canal water! (& BPL)
From: "Hare,Ed, W1RFI" <w1rfi@arrl.org>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 17:11:04 -0400
That about sums it up for me, too.  Much of what "I" do is building on the work
done by others, and I am more than pleased to serve as a conduit for that work.
 I had an interesting and productive exchange this morning with a fellow about
the general tone of ARRL's BPL material. It must serve a wide range of needs,
and as pleasing as it would be to create a www.gobpl.com web page, in many
cases, the amateurs working a problem locally need something they can use to
work with -- not against -- their local utility.  Having relatively neutral
material provides just that.  Those that want something a bit more "direct" can
go to some of Sumner's editorials (some of which are a lot more forceful than I
would write).  By not taking too "direct" a stance, ARRL is able to serve on
industry committees and work directly with a number of the involved agencies,
another advantage.  All in all, I think that this sort of thing is headed in
the right direction.

I appreciate constructive criticism, as many who have offered that to me over
the years knows, but when that criticism consists of a blanket statement that
no one within ARRL should be allowed to say that something is someone else's
job, that is simply not useable input.  I am not sure how to deal with it,
because the alternative is not to participate in these on-line fora at all, and
that doesn't seem like a good idea, either.

At any rate, tomorrow I am off to one those industry meetings. IEEE is
convening its second BPL standards meeting in NJ, and that will pretty much
take care of tomorrow. When I get back, I need to get in contact with each of
the local groups working BPL across the country, getting updates, offering a
bit of advice and getting people signed up for the bpl-local reflector.
Hopefully, next week, I can find some time to update the ARRL web page; I have
a few ideas that will add a bit to its usefulness. (Suggestions appreciated.)

Ed Hare, W1RFI
ARRL Laboratory Manager
225 Main St
Newington, CT 06013
Tel: 860-594-0318
Internet: W1RFI@arrl.org
Web: http://www.arrl.org/tis
Member: ASC C63 EMC Committee
   Chairman: Subcommittee 5, Immunity
   Chairman: Ad hoc BPL Working Group
Member: IEEE SCC-28 RF Safety
Member: Society of Automotive Engineers EMC/EMR Committee
Member: IEEE