RFI

[TowerTalk] Re: [RFI] Good Thread on Surge Protection

To: "rfi@contesting.com" <rfi@contesting.com>,"towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: [RFI] Good Thread on Surge Protection
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 13:20:30 -0500
On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 13:44:43 -0400, Eric Rosenberg wrote:

>I found the following thread an excellent discussion of surge protection
>and surge protectors.

Yes. One of the respondents, Ed Lethert, a respected Minneapolis-based
consultant,
recommended SurgeX products. I strongly second that recommendation. They make
series-mode suppressors for branch circuits with ratings up to 20A and 240
volts. I
have four of their suppressor units in my home (my office, my wife's office,
ham
shack, audio and video gear), and I specify them for virtually all of the pro
audio
systems I design.  They aren't cheap, but all SurgeX products are certified for
Grade
A (1,000 hits of 6KV), Class 1 (highest quality protection), Mode 1 (no
contamination
of ground) per UL1449 adjunct testing.  Most of their products also provide
some
EMI filtering.

Quoting from the SurgeX website:

"Caution: Do not confuse the endurance (adjunct) testing discussed in this
document
with the safety testing that UL are usually associated with. UL 1449
certification does
not automatically mean that a product also passes the adjunct endurance testing
(which is optional), it only means that the product has passed safety
requirements."

I'm an independent consultant, and have no connection with any company,
including
SurgeX, and I do not work on any form of commission.

Jim Brown  K9YC