RFI

[RFI] BPL: Latest from "IEEE Tech Alert"

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: [RFI] BPL: Latest from "IEEE Tech Alert"
From: "Linden, Mike (BRC-Hes)" <Mike.Linden@boschrexroth-us.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2004 15:06:24 -0500
Gentlemen,

  I found the following in my latest IEEE Tech Alert email:
New life for broadband over power lines

Broadband Internet service through the common electric socket may finally be
ready to compete with DSL and cable modems thanks to new technical advances.
Modem makers are adopting chipset that eliminates the noise that plagued
previous generations of power line devices, and new technologies to get bits
past data destroying transformers have been developed too. But regulatory
problems persist. In particular, ham radio operators are still concerned
with the interference data carrying power lines cause them.

See "Amped Up and Ready to Go," by Willie D. Jones:
<http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/WEBONLY/resource/sep04/0904namp.html
<http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/WEBONLY/resource/sep04/0904namp.html> >

PS  The "Amateur Radio Emergency Communications Consistency Act" (HR 1478)
and the "Amateur Radio Spectrum Protection Act" (HR 713 & S. 537) are in
Congress. Please contact your Congressmen to ask for their support of these
bills! See the following ARRL link for details:
http://www.arrl.org/govrelations/ <http://www.arrl.org/govrelations/>