RFI

RE: [RFI] From Communications Daily re: BPL

To: "'Dave Bernstein'" <dave.bernstein@comcast.net>,"aa6yq@ambersoft.com" <aa6yq@ambersoft.com>
Subject: RE: [RFI] From Communications Daily re: BPL
From: Ed -K0iL <eedwards@tconl.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2004 19:25:30 -0500
Good question Dave.  I'm just repeating what I was told by our marketing
guys.
I'll run that question past those guys at work tomorrow!  (I'm just the
dumb RF guy;-)

I suppose it has to do with who pays for the extra hardware to get the data
they need pumped back.  If the package enticement is "come get internet
access from us and lower your electric bills to boot", then they could
probably charge the customer up front for the additional hardware needed
and get this data pumped back for free.  Otherwise they'd have to either
give away the hardware to get sign-ups (costing them $) or else charge for
the hardware without the enticement of providing net access as part of the
package--probably a tough sell.  Then again probably a tough sell even with
the internet access package.

73, de ed -K0iL