RFI

Re: [RFI] Utility Automation

To: <eedwards@tconl.com>, "'RFI Reflector'" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Utility Automation
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 08:49:21 -0400
> We currently use the same telephone ID call in system that
you're using,
> and it works pretty well.  But as utilities start looking
to be more
> competitive if deregulation every starts up again, then
they'll need more
> and more data to enhance customer service.  The only
answer is a faster
> network capable of keeping up with the additional loading
and is
> upgradable--the one thing BPL probably is not.

Ed,

When I look at BPL, something bothers me.

In order to duplex, they either have to store data and
time-share directions or split the bandwidth.

If they have 40MHz available, they have 20MHz each
direction. If you notch out important services from that and
all the amateur bands, you'd have maybe 10MHz each way.

With 5000 active subscribers, BW would be 2000 Hz. Even
allowing for the fact everything isn't happening at once why
are they calling that broadband? It seems to me to not be a
very good idea from the standpoint of bandwidth alone,
unless the users are limited before they get to a fiber hub.

Then there is the noise issue. I live in a rural area and
have a two-channel ISDN connection. I'm 55,000 feet from the
analog to digital conversion system in the phone lines,
although the ISDN is digital all the way to my house. Every
time lightning hits within 5 miles, a dial-up modem will
drop. The same hits take out the ISDN connection, and it
takes a few minutes to recover.

How will BPL get around that?

It seems to me a pretty poor technology. Maybe we need to
learn about the design flaws of using BPL.

73 Tom