RFI

[RFI] BPL only in America

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: [RFI] BPL only in America
From: Cliff Hazen <cliffhazen@peoplepc.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 21:23:37 -0400 (EDT)
Attached is the reply I received from George Bush's staff concerning BPL.  Of
course,
I totally believe that the present administration will protect amateur radio's
long
standing legal right under United States laws to use our licensed HF bands with
no harmful interference.
There is no reply to my point that there is already a far more effective and
logical
solution, WiFi networks. Spokane already has one in operation covering much of
the city.
Apparently, amateur radio is no longer viewed as necessary part of HomeLand
Security
by the present administration.
I find it interesting that many of the religious HF broadcasters with
transmitter
sites in the United States list North America as one of their primary broadcast
target audiences.

Cliff N7HIY

THE WHITE HOUSE
WASHINGTON
September 30, 2004

Mr. Cliff Hazen
Post Office Box 65657
Vancouver, Washington 98665-0022
Dear Mr. Hazen:
On behalf of President Bush, thank you for your letter about the deployment of
Broadband
over Power
Line (BPL) systems. We appreciate your sharing your thoughts on this important
issue.
President Bush has set an aggressive goal for all Americans to have universal
and
affordable access
to broadband services by 2007. One way to achieve that goal is to encourage the
development and
deployment of new broadband technologies and networks. The Administration
believes
that BPL
has the potential of being the "third broadband wire" into U.S. homes,
thus accelerating the availability
of affordable broadband services to all Americans. For that reason, the
President
has called for new
technical standards to make BPL possible.
The Administration also recognizes the potential interference risks associated
with
BPL for amateur
radio operators and is dedicated to ensuring that BPL systems do not harm radio
users. To reduce
the potential risks, the Department of Commerce's National Telecommunications
and
Information
Administration (NTIA) is working closely with the Federal Communications
Commission
to develop
mechanisms to mitigate potentially harmful BPL interference. The NTIA recently
submitted
a Phase 1
analysis of BPL interference based on more than 10 million measurements of
currently
operating BPL
systems. The study, which can be found online at
www.ntia.doc.gov/ntiahome/fccfilings/2004/bpl,
proposed specific techniques to mitigate interference from BPL to radio systems.
The NTIA intends to
examine these proposals in a Phase 2 study that will also consider potential
long-distance
interference
from mature, widespread BPL deployments.
While the Administration supports expeditious deployment of BPL services, we
will
continue to
protect America's radio users. Thank you again for taking the time to write.
Sincerely,
IM^C
Heidi Marquez
Special Assistant to the President
and Director of Presidential Correspondence