RFI

[RFI] DSC Alarm Panel 75 Meters/False Alarms

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] DSC Alarm Panel 75 Meters/False Alarms
From: "Brad Roope" <w1rq@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 07:33:04 -0500
Hello:

I am having a problem with a new DSC Alarm Panel recently installed at my next
door neighbors QTH. On 75 meters with more that 400 hundred watts causes the
false alarms being sent to alarm central and in one case a panic alarm to the
Police Department. The specific causes as to when it sends alarms is unclear.
The new system is continually polling the sensors and I suspect that when I am
transmitting the data gets corrupted as sends a false alarm.

DSC was informed that there could be legal issues associated with false alarms
if the RFI issue is not resolved.

A letter was sent to the RFI Department at ARRL. A letter has been sent to DSC
requesting help to solve the RFI Issue. The alarm company that installed the
system called DSC and was told there was nothing that could be done. However,
he said that he had a filter in the truck and installed a common split core
around the leads at the input to the panel. In addition he grounded the new
panel to the common telephone/electrical ground.

If DSC does not respond to their RFI Issue, I may ask my neighbor if I can
install #77 beads at the input to the Alarm Panel. I may get only one
opportunity so I need to know if multiple beads on each lead would be better
that just one?
I may also install by-pass capacitors on each lead. I am not sure if I will be
able to install beads at the sensor end.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Brad Roope
W1RQ
11 Singingwood Drive