RFI

Fw: [RFI] 6.5 to 7.5 mhz birdies (LONG)- EUREKA

To: <RFI@contesting.com>
Subject: Fw: [RFI] 6.5 to 7.5 mhz birdies (LONG)- EUREKA
From: "HENRY PFIZENMAYER" <pfizenmayer@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 19:54:32 -0700
Eureka... This afternoon , I was in my backyard poking around with a VHF
dipole made from an old set of rabbit ears with a balun at the feed point ,
and my next door neighbor stuck his head over the fence and asked if I was
looking for noise
again!!!

I told him , yep, and I had a notion it might be some of his battery
chargers... Well we went in his garage with my 6.5 to 8 mhz loop and R10 rx,
and the signal was pretty strong but the null kept pointing inside the house
..I asked if he had a computer just inside the house wall and no , they
(three of em ) were at far end of house... so we started to the other end of
the yard and the signal pegged the R10 at about 6890khz , added the 20 db
atten in the R10 and still pegged at his front door ..I took off tne tuned
loop and put on the little whip that comes with the R10 and it was just
audible with 20 db atten and fairly strong with no atten, and I asked him to
take the rx inside and poke around for strongest signal.

 To make an already long story shorter , it turned out to be a blasted touch
lamp on the other side of the front wall . He unplugged it and the noise is
essentially gone on 40 meters. Still have some other extraneous stuff to
hunt down but none are nearly as strong as this was, and what is left  is
pretty narrowband birdies at spot freqs like horizontal oscillators .  Some
stuff at at 60 khz rep but its pretty weak and I could live with that.

I can actually hear signals on 40 meters again that are under S9 !!! He
mentioned that the light had been acting up and turning itself off and on
randomly ( I suspect that could have been me !) so I hinted that maybe the
lamp was going bad. About that time his wife showed up and said she had told
him to unplug that lamp a month ago !!!!

So another touch lamp story !!!!!

Rgds... Hank