RFI

Re: [RFI] Ethernet RFI Elimination?

To: Eric Rosenberg <wd3q@starpower.net>, rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Ethernet RFI Elimination?
From: Martin Ewing <martin@aa6e.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 07:28:40 -0800 (PST)
There are spurs everywhere, if you look deeply enough,
like every 32 kHz.  See
http://www.aa6e.net/aa6e/rfi/ether_details.html

I have tried the following -

-Used Cat5 shielded twisted pair
-Wrapped 5 or 6 turns of Cat 5 through type 43 ferrite
cores
-Put ferrite cores (6-9 turns) on the power leads for
hubs, switches, and other devices.  Lots of RF can
escape via the power leads.

All together, these have tamed the problem fairly well
for me.  I found I had to work just as hard at
shielding the non-Ethernet computer wiring.

WiFi and/or fiber optics are much more ham-friendly.

-73, Martin, AA6E