RFI

Re: [RFI] Core for common-mode choke?

To: "rfi@contesting.com" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Core for common-mode choke?
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 21:59:47 -0600
I have several thoughts. First, you left out some very important information
about your
problems.  It is impossible to consider the design of any filtering without
knowing the
answers to both of those questions. Toroids come with a wide variety of
frequency
characteristics, so you need to tailor the design of the filter to the
operating frequencies.

    1) What frequencies do you operate when you have problems?
    2) What TV channels experience the problems?
    3) Does the TV "blank" as you describe it if you switch to the video input
(if it has one)?
    4) What kind of receive antenna system do you have?  Does the set get a lot
of signal,
or are you in a fringe area?  Is there a good high pass filter on it?

Also, have you considered the possibility that the TV may be poorly shielded,
and that that
could be part (or all) of your problem?

If you think the problem is related to common mode coupling to ground via the
AC line,
perhaps you could run the set from a UPS long enough to see if that eliminates
or reduces
the interference. Frankly, I would doubt that mechanism and suspect shielding
instead,
since you've disconnected everything else. If it's shielding, I'd be inclined
to sell the set on
EBay and start over.

Jim Brown K9YC