RFI

Re: [RFI] Buying a new TV

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Buying a new TV
From: "Alan NV8A (ex. AB2OS)" <nv8a@att.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 23:16:32 -0500
Note that (so I have read) some of the big-screen TVs are Part 15 Class A devices, not Class B; i.e., intended for use in a commercial environment, not for use in a residential environment.

Alan NV8A

On 01/10/05 06:07 pm N6KJ tossed the following ingredients into the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

I'm once again taking a look at the TV market.
I'm particularly interested in a flat LCD/Plasma HDTV
unit. I currently own a 35" Mitsubishi (10 years old)
which has TVI problems when I operate 40/80 meters.
I've been unable to eliminate it no matter what I
do. I've reduced it considerably with toroids on
all the inputs, proper grounding of the surge-suppressor, moving my transmit antennas farther
away, etc. but I have been unable to eliminate it.
Another "cheap" TV in my house has never had a
problem. In addition, the Mitsubishi used to
put out birdies on 20M until I added the toroids.

My question is: how do I protect myself when buying
a new television?  I can't "easily" take my
40 or 80 meter rig and antenna into the showroom
to check for interference, assuming I buy the TV
at a showroom instead of mail order.  All
mail order places seem to have a hefty "restocking"
fee if you return merchandise, not to mention the
cost of shipping it back.  Even showrooms don't
want to take these things back.

I could take a portable rig and check as much as
I can at the showroom, but it's not really practical
to check all bands.  In my case, my current TV is
most susceptible to 80M (the color burst circuitry
seems to be the problem).  It's certainly not
practical to run 80M in a showroom.

Anyone know of a major
retailer (Best Buy or similar?) that has a
30 day money back guarantee with no questions asked?

Any good suggestions?