RFI

Re: [RFI] What antennas are good for HF DFing?

To: <ve3zi@rac.ca>, <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] What antennas are good for HF DFing?
From: "Jim P" <jvpoll@dallas.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 09:34:16 -0600

   "Ferrite rod antennas are quite tricky to get
    working properly - you need the highest
    permeability rod possible, _but_ the loss
    must be low at your operational frequency.
    Most medium wave rods will work OK at
    2MHz, but probably not at 3 or 4."

I have been looking for an opening into this
discussion and the mention of ferrite rods and
DFing at SW frequencies has finally drawn me in.

I have had EXCELLENT results using an old Sears
Model 2278 4-band AM/SW/FM "portable" to do
DF operations on 80 meters - for example, using this
receiver, over the last 2 years I have been able to do
quick and accurate DFing (using the null techniques
described previously) to two different distribution-level
line noise sources that had just 'popped up' out
of nowhere.

This receiver also incorporates a signal strength
meter - INDISPENSIBLE IMO when determining the
actual source/specific pole when 'close-in' (read that
as "when measuring the signal strength exhibited
near the ground wire which comes down the pole").

These two different sources ('power factor correction'
capacitor banks) were on the order of 1/2 to 1 mile
away and were affecting several of us hams here in
the area - one gentleman had even taken his 2 Meter
gear mobile with a yagi and did not have the success
I had using this 1968 vintage battery-powered Sears
AM/SW radio. (A subsequent call to TXU remedied
the problem - a mention that the "timed control box"
mounted near the base of the pole was unlocked
expeditied attention to the problem as well.)

This particular receiver utilizes a good-sized ferrite
rod as the antenna on MW and SW 1 (2 - 6 MHz).
When tuning for a 'noise source' definite variances
in signal strengths can be found for most noise
sources - using a broad-band tunable receiver one
almost has a portable, battery-operated spectrum
analyzer (albeit an un-cal'd analyzer) at one's
disposal!

The uppper band (SW 2, 6 - 18 MHz) seems to use
the whip antenna only, and I have not found that I
can do 'DFing' on this band using any exhibited
directionality.

I have also used this receiver when DFing those
pesky switching-power-supply based gel-cell battery
chargers imported from China (chargers which had
NO Part 15 label; nor was there included in the user
manual the required Part 15 wording or text) as
imported  by these people:

      http://www.terminatorscooter.com/

DFing this little noise maker required literally 'walking
the streets' (and sidewalks; getting as physically close
to houses as legally practical) in the area (like walking
plus or minus one street north and south of where the
source actually turned out to be) and mentally
assimilating the measured field strengths; underground
electrical utilities and being close to the source as well
as the relatively low frequencies involved (DFing in the
2-6 MHz band) made for tough identification 'down to
the house' in this case.

The key to identifying this noise maker was striking up
a conversation with the homeowner (he and his kids had
come outside!) where the signal strength was strongest -
turns out he was having TVI problems and did't know his
scooter chargers were the culprits!

Jim P   /  WB5WPA  /