RFI

Re: [RFI] San Diego BPL

To: digital-conjurers@adelphia.net
Subject: Re: [RFI] San Diego BPL
From: "n6ki@juno.com" <n6ki@juno.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2005 05:52:00 GMT
Uh....guys..

You are missing the whole point...!

SDG&E ( and I am sure many other power comapnaies considering BPL )could care
less about using BPL to sell Internet access.
SDG&E and others wants BPL for reading your meters automatically without human
intervention and to monitor their power systems, transformers etc. It's value
for signaling ( ie, read..turn on/off things via remote control) and monitoring
outages, power stations and sub-stations, Transmission and distribution lines,
transformers about to blow up or running too high or low a voltage are worth
their weight in GOLD.

If that all works then the internet hookup is just icing on the cake...

Most power companies could care less about the Internet hookups.

BTW, The BPL devices that would be put in peoples homes ( from many DIFFERENT
vendors possibly, are probably more likely to either emit or pickup
interference. The term for the type of BPL that the power companies use is
called "ACCESS BPL". What winds up in home is another name I didn't get when a
large contingent of San Diego hams recently attended a presentation by SDG&E
representatives at the last San Diego DX Club meeting.

If I heard the SDG&E Reps right, SDG&E told us that the Public Utilities
Commission of CA is also "telling" SDG&E to bring on this technology.
Why...well, in essence, to keep costs down for consumers possibly and I am sure
raise profits and quality of electrical service provided to consumers by SDG&E.
 IMHO

Now lets do the math, 1+ Million SD County SDG&E subscribers
against 10,000 hams...hmmmm. Guess where BPL WILL be uinstalled next.

73, Dennis N6KI

P.S. - Anyone hear anything bad or good from Cincinati yet ????