RFI

Re: [RFI] Direct DFing of arcing hardware

To: <ka5s@earthlink.net>, <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Direct DFing of arcing hardware
From: "Jim P" <jvpoll@dallas.net>
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 11:41:12 -0600
>   Then I had to go to 450 MHz to get a bead on
>   the specific pole and hardware.

I would underscore the *very* good results I've
seen using a dipole cut for TV CH 3 (and
mounted to a 4' length of PVC pipe) used in
conjunction with a TV field strength meter;
in fact, I can get nulls of the ends of that
dipole that puts put the DFing of the same
'source' using a UHF hand-held beam to
shame!

Some sources, it turns out (as evidenced by
actual 'field work') aren't always as strong
(or even the the same one) when the frequency
bands are as disparate as HF and UHF (14 MHz
and 450 MHz say). Just a note of caution
when actually looking at this stuff in the field ...

When tracking down such sources as switching
power supplies, *nothing* beats a receiver that
is capable of tuning the same range  _that you
are being affected on_  (primarily HF). For this a
self-contained receiver with a  _ferrite loopstick
receiving antenna_  has been the 'bees knees'
for me. I continue to 'log successful kills' using
this receiver to this day. When doing some DFing
with a receiver like tis,  _ it is important to get out
and walk the streets_ , do a little leg work coupled
with copious mental notes of where the signal is
STRONGEST and what POINT all bearings seem
to indicate.

I would also, once again, emphasize the importance
of being able to detect, or measure the *peak*
of some of these low duty cycle, high peak power
power-line noise sources, as opposed to the highly
averaged readings/responses of a simple AM
detector that most scanners capable of AM use.

That's not to say that some of these 'lesser'
means receiving are not valuable, given the
alternative of nothing at all!

Jim P  /  WB5WPA  /