RFI

Re: [RFI] Part 15 Class B labeling requirements

To: "Stephanie WX3K" <wx3k@ptd.net>, <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Part 15 Class B labeling requirements
From: "Jim P" <jvpoll@dallas.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 18:14:10 -0500
I just opened up a brand new 725 VA

    " APC Back-UPS ES Series "

UnintPS model number " BE725BB " and
there appears to be the required Part 15
'notice' in the manual, but only a brief mention
of part 15 on the UnintPS itself, as follows:

  "Tested to comply with FCC standards
    including Parts 15 and 68
    FCC Reg. No. 1XHUSA-25571-XP-N "

Since this heavy little beast employs a micro
that can communicate it's state to a PC via a USB
connection, that could be the driving reason this
UnintPS needed to be tested and subsequently
marked (albeit insufficiently?) with Part 15 nomen-
clature. (I'm going to leave the subject unbroached
at the moment about the criteria that mandates a
device be specifically tested or 'qualified' under FCC
Part 15.)

I've got another APC UnintPS, a 500 VA unit that
I've used for years, that I have never experienced any
harmful noise from (during standby anyway!) on the
AM BCB up through HF; as an aside I don't recall
now any markings on the 500 VA unit (it's also power-
ing this PC; I won't be disturbing it presently just to
look for Part 15 nomenclature!)

Jim P  /  WB5WPA  /