RFI

Re: [RFI] Christian Science Monitor article re BPL

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Christian Science Monitor article re BPL
From: Skip Cameron <scameron@austin.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 17:35:27 -0500
Here's my letter to editors of Christian Science Monitor.
Skip W5GAI
--------------------
I had a 35-year career in the computer industry executive, and enjoy listening
to short wave radio. BPL by its nature radiates insidious spectrum pollution.
Radio frequency energy injected into an unshielded wire above ground radiates
to the air. Field trials have proven this. BPL uses frequencies from 1.8-80
megahertz, interfering with FCC licensed users. BPL systems are also subject to
interruption by legal transmissions of licensed users. Until the technologies
of BPL are technically sound and proven by rigorous design analysis, lab
testing, controlled field testing, they should not be endorsed, embraced,
enabled by
legislation or implemented. Given these facts, you can see how BPL, promoted by
the unscrupulous who will gain from it, will most likely create another
"Enron", with electric utility ratepayers and investors the losers. Computer
people like me and HF spectrum licensees and listeners are the most prolific
supporters of
new technologies and have led and participated in the technology revolutions of
our generation. We are like that "canary in the coal mine" and should be
listened to and heeded on the subject of BPL's fundamental problems.