RFI

Re: [RFI] Internet Cable interference

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Internet Cable interference
From: "Martin, AA6E" <martin.ewing@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 15:31:57 -0400
I have seen much of this, too. I found that the older 10baseT (10 MHz) makes
less interference. You can force your computer into 10 MHz mode usually, but
many Ethernet devices (like hubs, routers, print servers) automatically
choose 100 MHz if available. The 32 or 64 kHz spurs seem to come from the
framing rate (a submultiple of the clock). What you hear will probably vary
depending on how much data is being sent. There is more at
http://www.aa6e.net/aa6e/rfi/ether_details.html .

I wonder if anyone has looked at the new 1000baseT. Possibly the higher
clock will take most of the energy out of the HF bands.

I can add a note about receivers vs antennas. It is correct that the RFI
enters the Rx through the antenna. However, if your antenna is not balanced
and there is RF (common mode) on your coax, your coax in the shack is part
of your antenna, and you may get a lot more computer RFI. This is the flip
side of "RF in the shack". Using a unun (ferrite beads) on your coax
(outside the shack) might help quite a bit.

73 Martin AA6E