RFI

[RFI] RFI and the electric company

To: RFI@contesting.com
Subject: [RFI] RFI and the electric company
From: Mike Brown <k9mi@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2005 03:45:08 +0000
I have had 3 problems with RFI from the electric lines in our
neighborhood. Number 1, they were out the next day, and although it took
maybe 3 months to fix, I was happy because they were at least trying,
and did eventually find it.

Second time. This was a nightmare that took 7 months to get fixed, and
only then when the Fcc sent a letter to the mayor of our town, letting
him know that fines would be costly. This was after I contacted them,
got the complete brush off. The fellow that helps in these situations
with the ARRL had written a letter to the CEO of the electric company
(sorry, I know his name was John and he had a K2 call, and was a great
help). But like I mentioned, they gave me the total brush off and I had
to get aggressive, or that problem would still be here.

About 2 weeks ago, another one pops up. All I have up is my tribander at
40 ft now, but pointed the direction of the problem, I have S9 to 15
over noise on 20, 15 and 10 meters. I let it go 2 weeks, just to make
sure it was consistent, because I'm not going to bother them over an
intermentent problem. This is 24/7, and never lets up, so today I called
and we'll see what happens. If it turns into a long drawn out affair, I
may just let it go and sell my hf rig. I have two many other problems in
my life to fight with the power company again.

This has been a few years ago, but it's still on the web...
http://www2.arrl.org/news/enforcement_logs/2002/0406.html

Funny, it wasn't long after the FCC sent that letter, my problem went away.

Mike, K9MI - Anderson, IN