RFI

Re: [RFI] Computer cases and RFI

To: "RFI List" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Computer cases and RFI
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2006 04:19:48 -0600
On Mon, 2 Jan 2006 18:39:03 -0600, Jim P wrote:

>Many of those comments I think were applicable
>several computer generations ago,

It would be quite nice if that were true, and for the computers
themselves, it very well may be. But computers are a tiny fraction
of the equipment that generates trash for us. There are power
supplies, network switches (and routers), modems for DSL and cable,
home entertainment equipment, printers, lighting equipment, etc. and
some products are better designed than others.

It's a rare QTH that doesn't have trash from the equipment noted
above. If you don't believe me, go listen around 14,030, 21,052, and
the low end of ten meter CW. These are only a few of the birdies
coming from 10BaseT Ethernet traffic, and each one of your neighbors
will generate a birdie on a slightly different frequency. Ah, you
say, 10BaseT has been replaced by 100BaseT. Not so -- most cable and
DSL modems produce 10BaseT, and that traffic propagates on the
network as 10BaseT.

73,

Jim Brown K9YC