RFI

[RFI] Telephone RFI

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Telephone RFI
From: "Ed Swynar" <gswynar@durham.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 21:39:05 -0500
If you can't locate any of Rich Meaures' miniature L/C suppressor "kits"
anymore, try the ol' ferrite core trick, i.e. looping the lines where they
enter the telephone body through a ferrite donut --- or slipping beads over the
line(s), if you can locate beads big enough to go over the plug(s)...

But even THAT may not prove to be the final word --- my neighbour three houses
away years ago had RFI from my 10-meter transmitter with anything over 25-watts
output, but ONLY WHEN SHE WAS STANDING UP!

Turns out the handset cord was acting like a helically-wound, resonant vertical
when outstretched like that --- when she sat down by the phone table (& the
cable was bunched-up & short) there was no RFI...and yes, I did have the Rich
Measures' filters/toroids on both the handset cord, AND the mainline, as they
entered the telephone...

Here's another tip: keep the deflection yokes from the back of any CRT in
discarded TV's & computer monitors. Beneath all that enamelled wire is a
beautiful two-piece ferite core that makes an excellent RFI suppressor for
speager leads, power cords, etc. etc. --- for FREE!

~73~ Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ