RFI

Re: [RFI] Help: Telephone Ringer Blown Out

To: w3dq@arrl.net, rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Help: Telephone Ringer Blown Out
From: "Cortland Richmond" <ka5s@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 11:56:28 -0800
> From: Eric Rosenberg <wd3q@starpower.net>
>
> What I don't understand is how/why the ONLY ringers went out, and ONLY on
> the two wireless and wireline phones and *not* the fax machine or phone
> attached to it.
>
> Can someone tell me what happened and what I can do so that this won't
> happen again.

Pete has a good suggestion. As to why only the ringers went out, that's
probably because they were low impedance to the lightning transient, and so
carrried the bulk of its current until the energy available was too low to
damage other devices of higher impedance on the same line.

You may want to run your telephones through surge supressors* to help
prevent this in the future.
* See http://www.epanorama.net/documents/surge/telesurge.html

Cortland
KA5S