RFI

Re: [RFI] RFI Canceling RFI?

To: "RFI List" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] RFI Canceling RFI?
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 10:11:44 -0500
>From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
>To: "RFI List" <rfi@contesting.com>
>Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 07:52:50 -0600
>Subject: Re: [RFI] RFI Canceling RFI?
>
>On Fri, 10 Mar 2006 07:37:31 -0500, Pete Smith wrote:
>
>>Never did figure out what the mechanism could have been to account
>>for it.
>
>Not speaking of your problem or the original post directly, but there
>are some power wiring errors that could account for the sort of
>results being described. Consider outlets or fixtures that are
>miswired so that the green wire (ground) and the neutral are
>interchanged, or the neutral and the hot are interchanged, or even the
>hot and the phase.

I guess I should have emphasized that the RF interference this generated was
discrete frequencies; as I recall it was at abt 3517, extending below that
frequency for about 20 khz at diminishing strength, and 3795 in the same
pattern.  As I was trying to wrap up my 80M DXCC at that time, you can imagine
it was a problem.  It really seems as if some sort of active device, perhap[s
combined with the radiation mechanism Jim describes, would have been needed in
order to cause what I heard.  I doubt I corrected a wiring error at the switch;
most likely I just replaced the switch with the wires in the same positions as
originally.

73, Pete N4ZR