RFI

Re: [RFI] ignition noise

To: "RFI List" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] ignition noise
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 12:09:26 -0700
On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 12:46:08 -0400, WA3GIN @ Arlington County, VA wrote:

>I bypassed them to ground and ran a dedicated
>ground from the negative side of the brake lamp to the frame rail.
>Problem solved.

Don't count on that working in a Toyota -- the body in my Toyota Sequoia is an
unmitigated disaster as a "ground" -- virtually all body to body (and even
wiring
to body) contacts have paint in the way. When I tried running 100 w on 20m to a
hamstick with the braid of the coax bonded to the body near the roof, the
vehicle's computer locked up and stopped me dead!  I managed to get running
again
only by pulling the power feed from the battery to let it reboot.

Since I'm still in the middle of a cross-country move, I haven't had time to
try
to fix it, but it looks like a huge project.

73,

Jim Brown  K9YC