RFI

Re: [RFI] RFI Proof Computer speakers needed!!!

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] RFI Proof Computer speakers needed!!!
From: "Rob Atkinson, K5UJ" <k5uj@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2006 17:55:58 +0000
There isn't an easy solution as far as I know, because consumer electronics
for PCs is pretty bad garbage as far as rfi is concerned--ditto for DSL
modems.   The solutions offered will help, but not using amplified speakers
is a bust because the pc sound cards I'm aware of do not put out enough
audio power to drive speakers directly.  you can try removing the little
solid state 10 w. amp in the speaker cabinet but in my experience they are
made in a way that makes removal difficult and you may wind up destroying
the card or cabinet.

you may have luck with a separate audio amp inside the pc cabinet (assuming
it's a metal box) connected to the sound card and audio cables going out to
non-powered speakers.

What I ran into was diode rectification of rf in the s.s. audio amp inside
the unshielded plastic speaker enclosure.  I went so far as to consider
using a vacuum tube amp, thinking that elimination of semiconductors would
eliminate the rectification problem.  Another possibility might be to place
the powered speakers inside metal boxes with wire mesh screens to let the
sound out.   All in conjunction with the other suggestions such as ferrite
cores, shielded audio cable with the shield unconnected at one end, or
balanced audio cables.

by the way, it is interesting that the problems are on 40 and 15.  My worst
audio rfi is on 75 m., followed by 160 m. and 40 m.  Probably a matter of
field patterns, and prox. to antennas more than frequency.

I will post a question about this to the broadcast email list and see what
is done about pc speakers (if anything) at medium wave bc tx sites.

rob  / k5uj