RFI

Re: [RFI] Low voltage lighting solid state "transformers"

To: "RFI List" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Low voltage lighting solid state "transformers"
From: "Steven Farmer" <wa5rpf@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 13:23:30 -0700
Dave,

The lights are exterior low-voltage halogen accent lights.  The source of
the rfi is the so-called "transformer" which converts the 120v a/c to 12v
a/c (pretty sure it's a/c anyway).   These "transformers" are actually
made-in-china switching power supplies.  If they have any filtering at all,
I can't tell it.   Intense noise is present from the am bc band all the way
through 11 MHz.  It's particularly strong on 80 and 40 meters.   Checks with
a handheld shortwave radio show that the a/c wiring is hot with this rf,
not only in their building, but in ours and in the single-family home next
door to us.

Operating from a condo is a character-building experience.

73,

Steve WA5RPF