RFI

[RFI] FM RFI?

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] FM RFI?
From: "Roeder, Landon" <LRoeder@nespower.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 10:43:11 -0600
We have a customer who has been complaining of TVI for several months.
She has multiple TV sets all using rabbit ears (non-amplified).  We have
found several noise sources on our poles and have fixed them.  Honestly,
she usually cannot tell the difference between bad reception and TVI, so
she calls us quite often.

Recently, she has begun complaining about interference on her
battery-operated handheld FM radios.  She says that sometimes she hears
a little buzzing on it, and other times the signal will just go away
completely.  When she moves the radios, the signal comes back to normal.
We have not been able to verify that particular problem, so my question
is whether powerline interference would cause such a problem?  Most of
the time powerline noise is amplitude modulated and thus affects AM
signals more.  So, what would the typical effect be on FM?  I suppose
that if the source were strong enough (likely inside the house) that it
could overload the receiver, but we haven't been able to find a problem
in her home.

What do you guys think?

Landon D. Roeder
KC5ACP