RFI

Re: [RFI] Computer Hash

To: "RFI@contesting.com" <RFI@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Computer Hash
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2007 23:20:14 -0800
On Sun, 25 Feb 2007 22:32:55 -0000, William Conlan wrote:

>Hi Guys, anyone have a fix for stopping computer noise blocking
out
>HF Radio.
>I use 3.5" Jack lead into PC microphone  & 3.5" Jack into radio
>speaker source on radio.

>As soon as I switch on computer all I get is noise.
>This is not a problem on VHF only HF 2Mgh-30Mgh.

Take a look at the RFI tutorial on my website.

http://audiosystemsgroup.com/RFI-Ham.pdf

Some questions:

1) Does the noise go away (or get weaker) if you disconnect some
or all of the wires plugged into the computer?  If the answer is
yes, those wires are acting as antennas, radiating the noise that
is most likely being put on them by pin 1 problems inside the
computer. Common mode chokes will help that part of the problem.
Follow the instructions in my tutorial.

2) Does some of the noise persist when all the wires are
disconnected?  If the answer is yes, that part of the noise is
probably being radiated directly by wiring inside the computer(s)
because they are not adequately shielded. Either you shield them
(a lot or work) or use the bucket treatment. See the tutorial for
details.

For both of these questions, consider ALL of the wires, even the
power supply for the laptop. (Obviously the non-laptop won't work
without power).

73,

Jim K9YC