RFI

Re: [RFI] Solar Arrays, etc.

To: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Solar Arrays, etc.
From: dgsvetan@rockwellcollins.com
Date: Tue, 8 May 2007 09:27:20 -0500
Rick and All,

The sad news is that "clean" power-consuming devices, such as incandescent
light bulbs, passive iron core transformers, and induction motors, are
going the way of the dodo.  (Yes, I know that you frequently get a noise
spike when switching the listed devices on or off, but when they are
running, they produce no inherent RFI.)  If you consider that all of those
technologies are more than a century old, it is amazing they have lasted
as long as they have.  Filament bulbs are not efficient, and transformers
and motors based upon iron laminations are too expensive and/or heavy. So,
add in welders, variable speed motor drives, pulsed electric fence
chargers, BPL (in some locales), and all the rest, and you have the
situation described below.

If it were practical to perform a plot of RF spectrum noise floor
components in the continental US by flying over the country, I suspect
there would be some very interesting (and bothersome) results, especially
in the more heavily populated areas.

73, Dale
WA9ENA

"Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Sent by: rfi-bounces@contesting.com
05/07/2007 11:15 AM

<WarrenWolff@aol.com>, <rfi@contesting.com>
cc

Subject
Re: [RFI] Solar Arrays, etc.

I have been doing RF scouting in power line free zones.
I noticed that whenever I get near "civilization" even of
the off-grid variety, there is a big increase in RF noise,
presumably from inverters, etc.

Rick N6RK