RFI

Re: [RFI] [TowerTalk] 115 KV Lines

To: "Kelly Johnson" <n6kj.kelly@gmail.com>, <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] [TowerTalk] 115 KV Lines
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 12:19:02 -0400
Is this a well known phenomena?  Is it specific to HV lines?
If so,
this may be something to consider if you get lots of rain in
your
area.>>

It happens all the time.

Also dirt on insulators or foggy damp mornings.

The problem is the lines add another layer of problems to a
site. I noticed you said "there are more problems with LV
distribution" and I certainly agree. The problem is
transmission lines are always going to be some problem. You
can count on it. While they normally generate a hissing
sound that isn't as obnoxious sounding as the ripping buzz
of distribution lines, they are virtually impossible to get
fixed and they noise-up when damp or when insulators get
dirty. As a matter of fact the dry weather noise I had in
S.Amherst from some lines about a mile west of me was noise
carried by the transmission lines from a substation several
miles away.

Most people investing in a big station don't want any
background noise increase and they certainly don't want to
operate based on the moisture content of the air around the
lines. Very few contests or DXpeditions are planned around
one station's weather.  ;-)

Having looked at this stuff first hand I would never move
into an area with transmission lines close by (say within
1.5 miles) in a direction I wanted to hear....or within a
few thousand feet in a direction that isn't a primary
direction.

73 Tom