RFI

Re: [RFI] Noise

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Noise
From: "Charles AF4O" <af4o@arrl.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 18:10:04 -0500
Sounds like good old power line noise to me. Maybe, maybe not.

At any rate, if you have a receiver and portable antenna (I use an
ft-817 and lightweight tote able 2mtr beam as most of the power line
noise I get goes well into the 2m range and is easier to find at that
frequency), see if you can triangulate and locate where its coming from.

If its power pole noise, maybe build the ultrasonic power line detector
that was in QST last year. I built one and it works great. It allows you
to often pinpoint the individual hardware that is bad once you have
found the bad pole by triangulation.

Then of course request you utility company repair.

If your power lines are underground or the source is not power lines,
then using this method you may can find what house it's coming from. May
save somebody's house from burning with s9 noise.

73
Chuck
AF4O