RFI

Re: [RFI] Exasperating noise ID

To: "Dan Zimmerman N3OX" <n3ox@n3ox.net>, rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Exasperating noise ID
From: W0UN -- John Brosnahan <shr@swtexas.net>
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2007 22:40:08 -0500
At 21:57 03-09-07, you wrote:

>Yes, I'm getting RFI from a house where no one has lived for the past
>year!  The owners (relatives of the former occupant) live some
>distance away and I may be able to contact them about this but it
>would be helpful if I had a clue what it might be rather than just
>emailing or calling out of the blue and saying I was getting RFI from
>their empty house.

Dan--

I didn't listen to the sound but wanted to mention a power line RFI issue
that I once had that might put this into perspective.

One night about 15 years ago I went to bed and decided to listen to some
late-night talk radio to help me get to sleep.  (Does it every time.)   As
I listened I heard some RFI on the AM band, but didn't think too much
about it at first.  No big deal -- just some RFI.   But the more I thought
about it the more I started to worry about it.

Finally I got up and started turning things off to see if it was coming from
my own house.  Turns out it was the power cord in an old 75A4 receiver
in the basement that was in the process of shorting out due to the pressure
of the cable clamp.   The rig was not turned on and the power cord is ahead
of the RX's fuse, so the RX fuse will not protect this kind of
short.  Not sure
if it would have just blown a house fuse or if it might have started a fire,
but I was greatly relieved to have found it.

So there is always a chance that any RFI might be coming from something
that is in the process of failing and that it might result in a
fire.  Probably not,
but I bet your (non-) neighbors don't really want to take that risk.

Other culprits that have caused RFI and can be a bit hazardous are the old
style door bell transformers.  You didn't mention the age of the house but
it may have an old door bell transformer that should be checked out.

73, John  W0UN