RFI

[RFI] Vitara Computer module noise

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: [RFI] Vitara Computer module noise
From: Michael Coslo <mjc5@psu.edu>
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2007 09:39:38 -0400
I've recently installed an HF mobile setup in my 04 Suzuki Vitara.
I've traced a RFI problem to my ECM module. It gives me an S7 to S9
noise. Bad news

Here's what I've done so far:

Bonded all doors, hood, radiator, and exhaust system to the frame and
body.

Bonded ECM case to ground.

Added ferrites to Power cables on both ends

Ferrites on radiator fan

Ferrites on ECM wires.

Without the antenna, the ECM noise is not there, so I assume that it
is radiated, not coming through the power lines.

I have all tho other noise sources pretty well diminished. I did not
install a ferrite on the gas pump - it is pretty quiet except for an
occasional thwit - and I'd have to drop the gas tank to get at the
wiring.

Any ideas? I'm taking it out for the PAQSO party this weekend, and
although I will be working the party stopped, it would be nice to be
able to use it between stops also.

   - 73 de Mike KB3EIA -

-73 de Mike KB3EIA -