RFI

[RFI] Ceiling Fan question

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: [RFI] Ceiling Fan question
From: "Gary Smith" <Gary@doctorgary.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 00:24:27 -0400
I just read this request for help on a guitar list I belong to. I
don't have a great answer for him so I'm posting it here and maybe
someone has a helpful suggestion.

Thanks,

Gary
ka1j

----- question follows------------

Here's the situation:  Leslie and I just completed an addition to our
home.  It includes two Hunter ceiling fans that are independently
controlled by two remotes.  The remotes are RF, not infrared, and
transmit
at 350MHz.

On Monday, we're sitting in our new room with these fans when the
north
fan clicks on and starts rotating at the highest of 3 speeds.  All by
itself!  We can see the remotes across the room.  Nothing touched em,
boys
and girls.

Yesterday, we're sitting in the same room when it happens again, only
this
time it's the south fan at the slowest speed.

We live in an very low RF environment beyond the boonies in rural
North
Carolina.  My cell phone doesn't even work here.  No household
aplliances
were running; there is very little traffic near us so it's unlikely
it's
from 2-way radio splatter;  no garage door openers nearby because are
neighbors are not near;  I'm stumped.

There is a mountain peak about five miles away that does have RF
stuff on
it, possibly including weather radar.  But none of this is 350MHz to
my
knowledge.  And five miles is a haul.

No one ever mentioned if our addition is built on an old Indian
graveyard
or anything like that.  But, hey, anything could be possible.
Especially
this close to Halloween.  Woooooo!

It's not a big problem but "I gots to know."  Any suggestion on what
could
be starting up these fans is appreciated.

Thanks,
Skip