RFI

[RFI] 85 pulse per sec. RFI once again.

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: [RFI] 85 pulse per sec. RFI once again.
From: Colman Ahern <Smokey@ziplink.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2008 13:11:27 -0800
My pet source of RFI has vanished for now, no doubt it will show up
again. I found the below sound file on the RFI noise website, it
sounds very similar to what I hear except for the repeat rate, the
file noise is 60 pulses per sec., mine is 85 pulses per sec.

I live in Berkeley, very close to SF bay, is it possible that what I
hear is a form of CODAR radar?  My source of RFI can be heard on many
frequencies between approx. 1mHz-30mHz.  When present there is no
change or fading in the signal level of RFI, however its level does
vary depending on which frequency I am listening on.  A Google search
did give some information on CODAR, "commonly used for mapping the
ocean's surface and currents." (quoted from the RFI website).

http://www.arrl.org/tis/info/HTML/rfi-noise/noise/noise-files/wb0ocv-codar.mp3

Thank you.

Colman Ahern.
Berkeley, Calif.