RFI

Re: [Yaesu] [ICOM] Wired vs Wireless Routers for RFI

To: 'ICOM Reflector' <icom@mailman.qth.net>
Subject: Re: [Yaesu] [ICOM] Wired vs Wireless Routers for RFI
From: "Joel R. Hallas" <jrhallas@optonline.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 11:07:08 -0500
Folks,

This is interesting, but for some reason, I don't seem to have the problem
here. I have my voice and data blocks on the wall adjacent to my basement
shack. I come in with a Sci-Atlanta cable modem, Lynksys WRT54G
wired/wireless router followed by an 8-port 3-com dumb 10/100 Mbps hub. I
have 9 ethernet drops, all with CAT3 unshielded cable, including multiple
runs that go within a foot of my main HF antenna windowline for some
distance, including one to the station computer.

I don't hear a peep on 20 meters, and haven't noticed anything on other
bands. OTOH, while I'm running 500 W into the windwline, I knock the
Ethernet out for the radio computer, but it comes right back when I go to
receive.

I do have separate power systems. The comm. Gear is run through an APC ups
system, while the station is run from a gel cell with a charger.

FWIW

Regards, Joel
Joel R. Hallas, W1ZR