RFI

[RFI] HF - 80M - Line Nosie Tracking Expedition in Allen, TX

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] HF - 80M - Line Nosie Tracking Expedition in Allen, TX
From: "Jim P" <jvpoll@dallas.net>
Date: Sat, 3 May 2008 12:29:10 -0500
It has been awhile since I had anything really worth
noting, but about two weeks ago I had a doozy; it was
after the big windstorm we had in the DFW area and
specifically in the Plano/Allen area.

On 80 Meters - a continuous buzzing noise had appeared
with a signal strength = S7 SSB mode and = 5 dB over S9
in AM mode - I literally took this bull on by the horns and
DF'd / tracked it down on the second day. Turms out it was
a little over a mile away ...

The source, on a pole across from 201 E. McDermott (a big
church in Allen) and a block or so east of the railroad tracks,
could be heard up and down McDermott and in the downtown
Allen area on the AM broadcast band. In fact, a mile away
the source could still be heard on the AM Broadcast band on
a clear frequency.

Full report available here, including pictures of the 'source' after
locating it (a power pole with an obvious loose wire) along with
signal strength measurements and a map showing the distance
(over a mile) between me and the 'source':

      http://freepdfhosting.com/uploads/bcf9a3cffa.pdf

The uploaded file at this URL should be good for thirty (30) days,
beyond that I can't warranty anything.

..   ..    ..   ..    ..  ..

Additional; videos of phenom and related -

DF demonstration with a Sears Moel 2278 AM/FM/SW portable
radio and compass:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUxkXSVCYxg

Video of the pole, hardware and arcing wire:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhaMJD57QwA

Display of the RF 'pulse pair'  that was created (presumably)
on arc initiation (due to steep rise time) and again on extinction
shown along with a sinusoid derived from my local 60 Hz line:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozzp4RW5G54

JimP  // WB5WPA //