RFI

[Amps] So-Called Utility "Smart Meters"

To: <rfi@contesting.com>, "Old Tube Radios" <glowbugs@piobaire.mines.uidaho.edu>, <boatanchors@mailman.qth.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] So-Called Utility "Smart Meters"
From: "EP Swynar" <gswynar@durham.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 12:01:16 -0400
Good Morning All,

The good folks here at the Ontario Hydro generating outfit (or WHATEVER it is
that they might call themselves this week) have elected to install so-called
"smart meters", in place of the regular old-fashioned ones, at the street AC
drop point outside of everyone's house...

For the uninitiated, "smart meters" automatically keep track of power usage in
each home, and then charge rates according to whether or not it's "peak /
prime" time, or otherwise...apparently (as I understand it) these odious
devices are in constant communication wirelessly with "Big Brother", feeding
the data to some central collection point, to calculate final billing...and
they mark the end of days for the old-fashioned, traditional humanoid meter
reader.

Oh yes, did I mention that this is all a "...GOOD thing" for Ontario...?

Anyway, I'm VERY curious if any Hams reading this, who may have already had
smart meters installed at their respective QTHs, have experienced any sort of
RFI either to, or from, the readers...? I wrote a strongly-worded letter to the
local co-ordinator of this effort, and received a phone message back from one
of his minions that I would be hearing from them shortly...that was about a
month ago.

The monitor was installed at my QTH here a coupla days ago, but the system is
not yet operational.

Any sage words from the ranks of the knowledgeable...?

Thanks in advance, & my vy

~73!~ Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ